Disclosure: This post contains affiliate ads/links. If you click on an affiliate ad/link and buy something, I may receive a small commission. It does not result in additional charges to you. The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made on my blog.
I love oatmeal. My entire family loves oatmeal. While my husband is satisfied with nuking a packet of instant oats in the microwave, my daughter and I prefer the nutty, creamy texture of old-fashioned, slow-cooked oats for breakfast. Unfortunately, I find that the mornings are so busy that it’s difficult to enjoy taking the time to prepare and eat them how we like them. So I must admit I was thrilled to discover these time-saving thermos oats!
Is there anybody else out there struggling with time management? Silly question, right? Each day we need to accomplish so many things. We focus on getting the kids off to school, packing lunches, being productive at work, enduring the work commute, carting kids off to their activities, fitting in time for exercise, spending quality time with our spouses, caring for our pets, cleaning the house, washing clothes, preparing dinner, helping with homework, paying bills, grocery shopping…the list is endless! It’s such a relief when we are able to accomplish these tasks efficiently.
When we look at our to do lists, we must prioritize them. I’m ashamed to admit that one area I don’t focus on as much as I need to is the area of prepping healthy meals. To do it properly, it must be a priority for me. Time-Saving Thermos Oats have made this task much easier and more simple for my lifestyle. They are quick to prepare and provide that oatmeal texture I crave. I have tried overnight oats and although I understand why so many people love them, they may not be for everyone. If you’re like me, and enjoy your oats warm without making a mess, then thermos oats may work out as a great alternative for you.
How I Prep My Thermos Oats
1. Boil water in my tea kettle. (Feel free to use a pot or microwave.). I find that my tea kettle works best to boil water quickly. I found mine at Home Goods, but if you are in need of a tea kettle for your kitchen, check this whistling tea kettle out.
2. Measure 1/2 cup of old-fashion oats (not instant).
3. Pour 1 cup hot water in your thermos. I prefer using a stainless steel thermos. You can use a plastic thermos, but stainless steel keeps the oats warm for a longer period of time. Plus, some of them come with a spoon! You may choose to add up to an additional 1/2 cup of hot water for creamier oats. Check out this thermos option to get started!
4. Stir the oats in to the hot water. Seal your thermos tightly.
5. Optional- You may add your oatmeal toppings before sealing the thermos. (Saves time when you’re ready to eat your oats!). Or, if you prefer, you can add your toppings right before eating. It really is a matter of preference as to whether or not you want your toppings to cook along with the oats.
6. That’s it! You’re done! Allow the oats to cook for at least an hour in the thermos. I have found that if I prepare my oats around 6:30 AM, they are perfect for me to eat around 10:30 AM while I’m at work. I have also made them the night before and they are ready to go early in the morning.
I cannot emphasize how much of a game changer these oats have been for me. They are exactly what the title states: “Time-Saving Thermos Oats.” I almost forgot to mention-cleanup is simple too. Just rinse out the thermos and throw it in the dishwasher. My thermos is also super easy to clean by hand.
1. You may find it helpful to invest in more than one thermos. That way you will always have a clean one ready for you to use.
2. Meal prepping gives you more incentive to invest in more than one thermos. You could prep all of your breakfasts for the week. Have the oats and non-perishable toppings ready in each thermos. All you need to do is add hot water each day! Truly a grab and go breakfast!
3. Toppings for your oats: peanut butter, brown sugar, nuts, honey, apple sauce, maple syrup, dried fruit, coconut, dark chocolate chips, cocoa powder, protein powder, fresh fruit, etc. Don’t be afraid to be creative!
I would love to hear from you if you decide to make these Time-Saving Thermos Oats. What do you think? Please sound off in the comments below. I hope these oats provide a great way for you to save time while enjoying a healthy breakfast. Baby steps, my friends, baby steps- but we can do this!